Sunday, November 2, 2008

More Comedy thoughts...

I am in my early thirties and was raised on Video, like so many my age. Before my generation I think the idea of watching films more than once was not as prevalent. Like reading a book most people saw a movie once and that was it. With the advent of the wonderous VCR, however, movies could be viewed again and again and again....(much like my copy of BEETLEJUICE which I wore out).
All of this rambling is just to set up that I have seen TONS of older (mostly 70's-80's) comedies. They seemed to be my parents favorite. I was raised with JOHN CANDY, BILL MURRAY, GENE WILDER, TERI GARR, STEVE MARTIN, BERNADETTE PETERS, JOHN BELUSHI, etc. etc. etc.
and that style of comedic film is my favorite, but now with a new generation beginning to make films a new style is emerging. Comedies now are MUCH different then they were back then. This is the age of SUPERBAD and the offensive, irreverent, "stand up" style comedies with little plot/character and ALOT of jokes.
I am not saying that this is bad...I find alot of these films very funny, but I get nostalgic for the old style.
SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO here are a couple more fun lists...

My TOP 5 old style comedies:
1. FLETCH
2. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
3. ANIMAL HOUSE
4. FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
5. BLUES BROTHERS
- honorable mention goes to NEIGHBORS

MY TOP 5 new style comedies
1. SUPER TROOPERS
2. HALF BAKED
3. GRANDMAS BOY
4. HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE
5. POSTAL

No comments: