Saturday, April 19, 2008

TOP 3 BLUES COMPILATIONS

Usually when people are just trying to get into a form of music...they reach for the first available compilation. While this is a good way to get some samplings of different artists, the wrong compilation can totally turn you off. Blues Comps are usually pretty standard but some are MUCH better than others. A few I've gotten don't really jive well...the "Martin Scorsese Presents" comps are this way...a couple are great, but others (although the music is very good) don't have the right flow. If I wasn't already a blues fanatic and got these comps I don't think they would grab my attention properly.
THESE THREE ARE THE BEST COMPS I HAVE FOUND SO FAR FOR EITHER AN AVID BLUES FAN OR SOMEONE JUST WANTING TO GET A TASTE:

#1 THE BLUES STORY - Volume 1
- this is the most accessible for beginners - every track is a premier example of listener friendly blues featuring a more CHICAGO mix.

1. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker 2. Red Rooster - Howlin' Wolf 3. Dust My Broom - Elmore James 4. Honest I Do - Jimmy Reed 5. Thrill is Gone - B.B. King 6. Rollin' and Tumblin' - Muddy Waters 7. Santa Fe Blues - Lightnin' Hopkins 8. Crawlin' King Snake - John Lee Hooker 9. Sky is Cryin' - Elmore James 10. Mother Earth - Memphis Slim

#2
Americana Roots Songbook the Blues - Traditional Blues From the Heartland
-this is a fantastic Delta/Piedmont Blues mix, featuring my favorite delta player SKIP JAMES!

1. Blind Lemon Jefferson 2. I Saw The Light - Rev. Gary Davis 3. Candy Man Blues - Mississippi John Hurt 4. Devil Got My Woman - Skip James 5. Down The Dirt Road Blues - Charlie Patton 6. Statesboro Blues - Blind Willie McTell 7. That's No Way To Get Along - Robert Wilkins 8. Kassie Jones (Pt.1) - Furry Lewis 9. I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole - Blind Willie Johnson 10. Good Liquor Gonna Carry Me Down - Big Bill Broonzy

#3 Dark Clouds Rollin': Excello Swamp Blues Classics
-This is my personal favorite comp. It is a nice mix of Zydeco influenced 60's blues. Featuring my other favorite player SLIM HARPO!

1. I'm Evil - Lightnin' Slim 2. You're Gonna Ruin Me, Baby - Lazy Lester 3. I Got Love If You Want It - Slim Harpo 4. Going Through The Park - Jimmy Anderson 5. I'm Warning You Baby - Lightnin' Slim 6. Lonesome Lonely Blues - Lonesome Sundown 7. Wild Cherry - Leroy Washington 8. You're Too Late Baby - Silas Hogan 9. I'm A Lover Not A Fighter - Lazy Lester 10. I Love The Life I'm Living - Slim Harpo 11. Naggin' - Jimmy Anderson 12. I'm Gonna Quit You Pretty Baby - Silas Hogan 13. I'm Glad She's Mine - Lonesome Sundown 14. I'm A King Bee - Slim Harpo 15. Mean Woman Blues - Whispering Smith 16. Loving Around The Clock - Lightnin' Slim 17. My Little Queen Bee - Slim Harpo 18. I Tried So Hard - Whispering Smith 19. I'm Goin' In The Valley - Silas Hogan 20. I Had A Dream Last Night - Lonesome Sundown 21. She's My Crazy Little Baby - Lightnin' Slim 22. I Need Money - Slim Harpo 23. Goin' Crazy Over T.V. - Jimmy Anderson 24. Dark Clouds Rollin - Silas Hogan 25. You're Playing Hookey - Lonesome Sundown 26. Rainin' In My Heart - Slim Harpo 27. Nothing In This World - Jimmy Anderson 28. Winter Time Blues - Lightnin' Slim 29. Cryin' Blues - Whispering Smith

No comments: